Well I said a while back I would give an update on my cookbook progress and perhaps a recipe. Here we have a recipe for slow cooked beef; the first meal I made in the slow cooker. It was delicious if I do say so myself. You will probably want to make some mash potatoes or boiled new potatoes to go with this.
1 beef brisket
900ml beef stock
400ml red wine
4 garlic cloves
2 tbsp mustard seed
2 tbsp peppercorns
2 tsp fennel seeds
2 tbsp cornflour
Mustard or oil, about 2 tbsp
2-3 tbsp oil
- Quarter the onions and half the cloves of garlic and add to a pan with the beef stock and red wine and simmer for 5-10 minutes adding the thyme.
- Peel and chop parsnips then add them to the slow cooker along with the mix in the pan.
- Grind together the peppercorns, mustard seeds and fennel seeds. Paint the mustard/ oil on the outside of the meat and role in the crushed seeds.
- Place the meat in the slow cooker and cook on high for approximately 4 hours or on low for 6-8 hours.
- Take out the parsnips and onions and place them on a roasting tray cover in roughly 2- 3 tbsp of oil and roast for 30-40 minutes at 220c
- Take juices from the clow cooker and reduce by half and thicken using cornflour mixed with water adding it gradually. This makes a gravy that can be served with the meal.
I hope you enjoy giving this a shot.